Perioperative Support Apprenticeship (Level 3)
The health and social care sector is a vital industry that works to ensure the health and welfare of the individuals using these services. This role involves assisting and supporting healthcare professionals in the operating theatre department to provide excellent patient care.
What is an Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships combine practical on-the-job training with work related qualifications for those aged 16 or above, living in England.
Apprentices will gain a good technical knowledge base of the sector as a whole and, combined with real, practical, work experience, will gain competency in the workplace and the development of transferable skills.
How much will I earn?
With an apprenticeship you will earn while you learn. You are entitled to the National Minimum Wage. As of 1st October 2016, this is £3.40 an hour for 16 to 18 year olds. This is also the same for apprentices over the age of 19 but in their first year of their apprenticeship.
Who is this Apprenticeship suitable for?
This apprenticeship is suitable for those who are currently working within this sector or looking to gain employment within this sector as a Perioperative Support Worker or Theatre Support Worker. These roles deliver patient care within operating theatres, monitoring patients before and after their operations and looking after vital theatre equipment such as oxygen cylinders. They also ensure that the operating area stays clean and tidy.
What type of work will I do and what qualifications will I gain?
Although apprenticeships will vary depending on your entry level and your employer, you will gain a range of skills from the varying tasks you complete, these could include:
- Communicating with patients and healthcare professionals effectively
- Complying with health and safety procedures
- Learning about equality and inclusion
- Undertaking personal development
- Understanding the role of the healthcare professional
- Complying and understanding safeguarding procedures
- Assisting in the delivery of perioperative care and support of individuals
- Performing the non-scrubbed circulating role for perioperative procedures
You will also gain the following qualifications: