Laboratory and Science Technician Apprenticeship (Level 2)
A career within the science sector can lead to many opportunities including research and development, product and process development, scientific sales or into a non-scientific career such as IT, finance, HR and marketing.
As a lab technician, you will be working within a laboratory setting, supporting scientists and helping to carry out tests, research and investigations.
What is an Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships combine practical on?the?job training with work related qualifications for those aged 16 or above, living in England.
Apprentices will gain a good technical knowledge base of the sector as a whole and, combined with real, practical, work experience, will gain competency in the workplace and the development of transferable skills.
How much will I earn?
With an apprenticeship you will earn while you learn. You are entitled to the National Minimum Wage. As of 1st October 2016, this is £3.40 an hour for 16 to 18 year olds. This is also the same for apprentices over the age of 19 but in their first year of their apprenticeship.
Who is this Apprenticeship suitable for?
This apprenticeship is suitable for those who are currently working within this sector or are looking to gain employment within this sector as a Laboratory and Science Technician.
What type of work will I do and what qualifications will I gain?
- Follow health and safety procedures for scientific or technical
- Use information recordings systems for scientific or technical activities
- Maintain effective and efficient working relationships for scientific or technical activity
You will also have the opportunity to choose from the below units:
- Carry out simple scientific or technical tests using manual equipment
- Carry out simple scientific or technical tests using automated equipment
- Prepare scientific or technical samples for testing activities
- Carry out sampling operations for scientific or technical tests
- Carry out routine maintenance, cleaning and checking of scientific or technical equipment
- Maintain stocks of resources, equipment and consumables for scientific or technical use
- Prepare compounds and solutions for scientific or technical use
- Following aseptic procedures in the laboratory environment
You will also gain the following qualifications:
- Knowledge Qualification - Level 2 Certificate in Laboratory Technical Skills
- Competence Qualification - Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Level 1 Functional Skills Maths
- Level 1 Functional Skills English
- Level 1 Functional Skills ICT
What skills and qualities will I need for this apprenticeship?
- Excellent communications skills
- Willingness to learn and develop your skills and knowledge
- Ability to work within a team and on own initiative
- Good practical and technical skills
- Methodical approach to your work
- Ability to organise your workload and meet deadlines
Do I need any previous qualifications to start this course?
This is dependent on your employer and on the level of the apprenticeship you apply for.
You will normally need at least grade C or above in your English and maths GCSEs. If you don't have these, don't worry. You can work towards your functional skills in English and maths alongside your apprenticeship training at St Helens College.
How long will this apprenticeship take to complete?
Depending on the level you enter and the employer you work for, an apprenticeship can vary in duration, from one year to four years. The average duration of this apprenticeship is 18 months. This will be discussed and confirmed with each individual apprentice after initial advice and guidance and initial assessments are completed.
How will I be assessed?
As an apprentice, you will be assigned an assessor, who will visit you in the workplace to observe the tasks you complete. You will also complete a number of relevant work?related modules at the College. All of which will contribute to the overall success of your apprenticeship.
How does an employer benefit from this apprenticeship?
This apprenticeship has been developed in response to the increasing demand for highly skilled employees in a wide range of organisations and to up skill the existing workforce to meet their skills priorities.
What can I progress onto once I have completed my apprenticeship?
Upon successful completion of your apprenticeship you could progress onto the next level of study or you could go onto secure a permanent job with your current employer.Ref: Caroline Lidster