University Centre St Helens is located centrally within the Northwest region of England, nestled between the picturesque and breathtakingly beautiful Lake District to the North, and the lush green hills and valleys of Wales to the South. Situated just a short distance between the major cities of Liverpool and Manchester - homes to world famous football teams. We're also only two and a half hours away from London by train.
Explore the hidden eclectic delights that make St Helens a destination of choice. The former capital of the global glass industry, St Helens has undoubtedly helped change and shape the modern world.
This thriving borough is the perfect base, offering the excitement of premier horse racing all year-round at Haydock Park, or enjoy action-packed Super League rugby courtesy of one of the world’s best-known clubs - Saints. St Helens boasts one of largest laser tag arena’s in the UK as well as the unique Knowsley Safari Park featuring exotic animals from all over the globe. The biggest new attraction in every sense, is the internationally significant public artwork by artist Jaume Plensa - Dream.
Live in a global city and study at a local University. Lying just 20-minutes from St Helens by train lies the city of Liverpool. Built on an illustrious heritage that stretches back 800 years, Liverpool has a global reputation that was recognised in 2008 as the Capital of Culture. More recently, Liverpool has been named the third top city in the world after Rio De Janeiro and Sarajevo to visit in 2014 by Rough Guides.
Whether you’re interested in art, theatre, music or sport, Liverpool has a wealth of places for you to visit. If you’re looking to shop until you drop, grab a bite to eat and finish your day by relaxing in a bar then there’s plenty of places available in Liverpool One and there’s lots of nightclubs around the city if you fancy a night of partying.
NORTHWEST ATTRACTIONS (KEY FOR MAP)
- Liverpool Attractions: Albert Dock, Anglican Cathedral, Empire Theatre, Everyman Playhouse, International Slavery Museum, Liverpool Echo Arena & Convention Centre, Liverpool & Everton Football Clubs, Liverpool One Shopping, Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Mersey Ferries, Mersey Maritime Museum, Metropolitan Cathedral, St George's Hall, Tate Liverpool, Walker Art Gallery, World Museum Liverpool
- Spaceport & U-boat Story
- Royal Liverpool Golf Course
- Lady Lever Art Gallery & Port Sunlight
- Cheshire Oaks Outlet Mall & Blue Planet Aquarium
- Chester Zoo
- Chester Attractions: Chester Racecourse, Roman ruins/walled city
- Catalyst Science Discovery Centre
- Aintree Racecourse
- Anthony Gormley's "Another Place" on Crosby beach
- Royal Birkdale Golf Course
- Southport Attractions: Southport Theatre & Floral Hall, Splash World, Southport Pier, Lord Street
- Wigan Pier, Wigan Football Club & Wigan Rugby League Club
- Manchester & Salford Attractions: Imperial War Museum North, Manchester Science & Industry Museum, Manchester United & City Football Clubs, Manchester Arena, Museum of Science and Industry, Palace Theatre & Opera House, Printworks, The Lowry, Urbis Centre
- The Trafford Centre
- Bolton Wanderers Football Club
- Blackburn Rovers Football Club
- National Football Museum
- Blackpool Tower Attractions
- St Helens Attractions: Fair Tree Farm, St Helens Rugby League Club, World of Glass, Smithy Heritage Centre, The Citadel Arts Centre, Haydock Park Racecourse, St Helens Theatre Royal, Darkstar Laser, Northwest Museum of Road Transport, Inglenook Farm, Jaume Plensa's Dream sculpture